5 Reasons Why Cleanliness is Holiness
1. Positivity. Keeping things clean and in order gives you and others a happy feeling, and so does being good and peaceful. Taking positive action to clear up the environment, or just to spring clean our closets feels great. Taking positive action to be kind to others and do good deeds also feels wonderful.
2. Spiritual advancement. Cleanliness is all about taking care of yourself and your surroundings, and getting rid of anything dirty. This is similar to spiritual advancement, where we care about our spiritual health and rid ourselves of negative, unkind or evil thoughts and deeds.
3. Health: physical, mental and spiritual. Staying hygienic and ridding our surroundings of germs is good for our health. Keeping our minds ‘clean’ is also good for our spiritual health. Scientists have found that mental and physical health are not strictly separated: if we have healthy bodies, this helps our minds to stay positive and happy too, and vice versa.
4. A sense of beauty. There is a real beauty in a sparkling clean house, a tidy and well cared for garden and also in the human body when we look after ourselves and allow our inner beauty to shine through. A Godly person also has beauty in their actions, words and thoughts.
5. Motivation. Working to keep things clean and neat brings joy and a sense of satisfaction. Working on the physical cleanliness of ourselves and our surroundings motivates us to do good in the spiritual aspects of our lives too. If we get into good habits when it comes to cleanliness, we will tend to find that we have the strength of mind, discipline and determination that we need to get into good habits of morality as well.